As the longest section of the new East Span at 1.2 miles, the Skyway’s graceful parallel decks will transform the appearance of the Bay Bridge, as well as the way motorists experience their drive, thanks to sweeping, unencumbered views of the Bay. The sleek side-by-side east and westbound decks arc out gracefully over the Bay, a distinct change from the gray steel truss box of the original bridge that now carries traffic. Prime contractor Kiewit/FCI/Manson (Joint Venture) completed construction in 2008.
- 1.2 miles long between SAS and OTD
- Made up of 452 deck sections and 28 columns
- Roadway sections fabricated in Stockton, Calif.
- Foundations supported by steel and concrete piles
- Piles are 8ft in diameter, driven 300ft into the bay mud
- Design includes nesting platforms for birds
- Completed in 2007